Engagement and interaction are core aspects of the workshop flow. No music knowledge is needed to gain an understanding of how jazz principles and practices can promote creativity, strengthen leadership capacity, and elevate inclusive team synergy.
Live Jazz musicians are a critical part of the workshop to demonstrate the jazz principles and practices and engage with workshop participants in their group exercises. Facilitators will move through each of the principles, drawing out the analogies, framing the philosophy, and leading the exercises.
Participants will explore:
- Shared leadership as the foundation of high-performing teams
- Engage in creative, fun improvisational group exercises utilizing jazz elements that demonstrate leadership values and collaborative dynamics
- Improvisation as mastery of basic skills, then thinking and acting swiftly on one's feet
- The ensemble mindset as mutual trust and respect to reach common goals
- How the blues as perseverance through adversity and swing as freedom through skillful agility and resilience
- Antagonistic cooperation as growth and learning through challenge
- Deep Listening as the foundation of empathetic communication on the bandstand and off